Transition fade between two cameras

Our virtual suggestion box - An open forum to discuss how we can improve, do better, create. Really, anything we can do to help our community, we'd love to hear about it.

Transition fade between two cameras

Postby Gphysono » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:23 pm

If it's not possible already, I would like to suggest being able to transition fade between two cameras.
If it is already possible, what's the setup for it?

Thanks
Gphysono

Re: Transition fade between two cameras

Postby WesHawkins » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:23 am

This is actually a pretty difficult thing to do in general. The generally accepted way, from my understanding, is to get your first camera to render to a RenderTexture that is then fit over the screen (pretty simple using Unity's Canvas UI system), and then fade that image out.

Far from a walk in the park though.
WesHawkins

Postby ComplexP2 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:57 am

Hi!

I'm new to Cinema Director, but I looked through all the options and documentation and it seems that this is still not a feature. But I totally want this! :cry:
Is maybe a custom solution out there? Any suggestions?

Thanks, ComplexP2
ComplexP2

Postby Brandon » Tue May 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Hey guys,

We actually recently received a user-submitted script to add a Cross Fade transition, and she generously is allowing us to use it. I'm looking into taking what's she's given us and implementing directly into the CinemaShot item as a toggle, as right now it's a separate item that needs to be aligned with the shots in the timeline.

I've attached the script below, you can throw it in Assets > Cinema Suite > Cinema Director > Cutscene Items > Global Items > Transitions, and it can be added to a Global Track in a Director Group. Again, the start of the CrossFade should be aligned with the start of the shot you are fading to. The length of the item dictates the length of the fade effect.

Once I integrate it more deeply with our CinemaShots, and do some more testing with it, then it should come out officially in a near-future update.
Attachments
CrossFade.zip
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Brandon

Postby BingoBanana » Thu May 25, 2017 12:23 am

I just tried the Cross Fade transition script under Unity 5.6.1f1 and I get an error message telling me that the UnityEngine.PostProcessing name space doesn't exist. I went to the asset store and downloaded the Post Processing asset to make sure I had all the proper files, but it still doesn't work. Is it a bug in 5.6?
BingoBanana

Postby Brandon » Thu May 25, 2017 4:02 pm

It does require the post processing asset, but not sure why it's still giving you an error? What's the error message?
Brandon

Return to Suggestion Box