ASUS Xtion Pro

We have big plans for the future development of Cinema Mo Cap and we are sure you do too! Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of Cinema Mocap, and we'll do our best to make it happen.

ASUS Xtion Pro

Postby ZeroLimit » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Can you please add support of ASUS Xtion Pro sensor to your Unity mocap plugin.
Last edited by ZeroLimit on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZeroLimit

Re: ASUS Xtion Pro

Postby DanoG » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi Zero,

Since Mac support requires OpenNI support, we will be working on a version that supports openNI devices such as the Asus Xtion. We have a PrimeSense here that we test on. Once Mac version is working, you should be able to use your Asus device.

We are not 100% sure on timeframe, but we are definitely shooting for late Q1, early Q2.

Thanks,

Dan
DanoG

Postby turritom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:30 am

i have buy the cinema mocap for unity on windows and i have a asus xtion ?

can i use the programm now with my xtion ???
turritom

Postby DanoG » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:03 am

Hi,

You cannot use the Asus Xtion as a device, because it only supports OpenNI.

Also, the Xtion has been discontinued by Asus. We cannot continue to develop for discontinued products.

Apple has bought Primsense (the maker of OpenNI) and shut down OpenNI development and support.

Development for other devices has been put on hold because of this. (Any device supporting OpenNI)

Sorry,

Dan
DanoG

Postby DEichling » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:24 pm

I have to say I'm super sad and a little angry to hear this. I bought this software to use with Unity and my Xtion because you guys specifically called out in your documentation that you would build support for other devices including the Xtion. At the least, update your documentation to reflect this so that other people are not mislead by it.

In defense of Open NI it is totally NOT dead and there are many companies continuing to support and use this format, up to and including the release of new sensors and hardware built upon it. Yes, Asus discontinued their product but saying that because Asus stopped making one sensor doesn't mean that an entire format or technology is dead. The Structure sensor got a LOT of good press and is just the tip of the iceberg. If you really care, you can find out the current state and future plans of the Open NI platform at the link below where the current support and development are happening.

http://structure.io/openni
DEichling

Postby DanoG » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:06 am

Hi DEichling,

First off, very sorry that you are angered by our decisions. I did say that OpenNI is put on hold, not dead. We have been focused on many other features, including releasing Cinema Director, and OpenNI is not a priority since the Primesense acquisition.

You are correct about the documentation. This will be updated ASAP, and thank you for pointing this out.

As for continued OpenNI development. We are aware that it is not dead and that it's open source and in the hands of a capable community. However, when running a business, we need to prioritize our development efforts, and add/enhance features. Now that Cinema Director is released we are looking at enhancing Mo Cap. We will look at revisiting OpenNI with the link you provided as well.

Finally, we have no issues at all supplying you a refund of Cinema Mo Cap. Please email us - support@cinema-suite.com and I will arrange a refund through Unity.

Dan
DanoG

Postby D3m0n » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:51 pm

I am stepping stone to the request of the holder. And I would add to what has been said that there are many more devices ASUS owned by people that Kinect. The portability of it and the best quality RGB sensor makes the Asus Xtion Pro Live is not only a great sensor for movement but also a good 3d scanner.

Think again! Do you have a good application, with this kind of extension of the support definitely acquire more customers.

Sorry for my bad english.
D3m0n

Postby ZeroLimit » Fri May 22, 2015 6:55 pm

1.3.0.1 (May 21, 2015) - Added support for Kinect 2 sensor.

Please don't forget about us! :cry:
ZeroLimit

Postby Groofgum » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 am

As for using sensors as 3d scanner. According to all my experience, I think that the best way is to use sensor with Artec Studio. Yep, they have they own scanners, but too expencive ones. And there are 30 days trial version as well.
Groofgum

Return to The Cinema Mocap Wishlist...